Rising 8th Grade Registration
Hello 7th Grade Walton families!
This page has been designed to support 7th grade students and their families with the 8th course registration process. Information regarding transition will be provided to students and families during January 2021. If you have questions as you navigate through this process, please contact your school counselor, Doug Bloor (A-L, firstname.lastname@example.org) or Makenzie Crawford (M-Z, email@example.com), for information.
Click here to view the full ACPS Middle School Program of Studies, complete with course descriptions.
Rising 8th Grade Registration Letter
The course registration letter sent to rising 8th grade families in January 2021 can be found here.
- January 11, 2021: ConnectEd and letter sent home explaining scheduling process and course descriptions for exploratories, Language Arts, and Math. Instructions are provided for completing course requests, including how to use course numbers to tell the difference between levels.
- January 18 - February 12, 2021: Parent Portal opens for students and families to sign up for courses.
- February 1-4, 2021: Counselors visit 7th grade language arts classes to help students select classes.
- February 12, 2021: Parent Portal is open for parents/guardians to view only. Starting on this date, any course request changes will be completed by the student's counselor.
- February 15 - 19, 2021: Teachers will verify course level selections and make notes in PowerSchool to align requests.
- February 22 - March 5, 2021: Students and families may work with teachers and counselors to understand any discrepancies in course selections and teacher comments.
- March 8, 2021: ConnectEd sent and letter with course requests mailed home.
8th Grade Classes
- Language Arts- Three levels are available: Language Arts 8, Language Arts 8 Advanced, Language Arts 8 Advanced/Honors Alternate (meets every other day opposite of Spanish I or French I for a high school credit)
- Math- Three levels are available: Math 8, Algebra I (high school credit course), Geometry (high school credit course)
- Science 8 (semester-long)- Physical Science
- History (semester-long)- Civics and Economics
- Health/PE (year-long)
- Electives- Click here for the list of elective courses available in 8th grade.
Registering in Parent Portal
Students and families can register for classes in Student or Parent Portal during the defined time frame in January and February. Click here for instructions.
|Blue Day||Gold Day|
|Block 1||Language Arts 8 EOD||Spanish I|
High School Credit Class Options at Walton
- Algebra I (7th or 8th grade)
- Geometry (8th grade)
- Spanish I (8th Grade)
- French I (8th Grade)