Rising 6th Grade Registration
Hello future Walton families!
This page has been designed to support 5th grade students and their families with the middle school course registration process. If you have questions as you navigate through this process, please contact your elementary school counselor or your child's 2024/2025 6th grade counselor, Doug Bloor (firstname.lastname@example.org), for information.
Rising 6th Grade Welcome Letter
Click here to view the welcome letter that was sent to rising 6th grade families through elementary counselors.
Transition Timeline of Important Dates and Events
- Early December: Rising 6th grade transition packet is sent to elementary counselors to distribute to 5th grade students, families, and math teachers. WMS counseling website is updated with transition information.
- January 8 - February 2, 2024: ParentPortal opens for students/families/schools to sign up for elective courses and to select a math course. Elementary counselors and math teachers assist students and families with this process.
- February 5 - 9, 2024: Teachers and counselors review course selections and make comments on selections.
- February 12, 2024: ParentPortal is available for parents/guardians to view only. Starting on this date, any course request changes will be completed by the student's elementary counselor.
- April 18, 2024: 5th grade students visit WMS during the school day. Students are welcomed by administrators and counselors, WMS student ambassadors provide tours and answer questions, then the 5th grade students eat lunch in the WMS cafeteria.
- April 25, 2024: Rising 6th grade Orientation from 6:00 to 7:00 PM. Students and families participate in an information session with our administrators, receive tours of the building from our student ambassadors, and students/families/WMS staff attend a short social at the end of the evening.
- June 3-6, 2024: WMS administrators, counselors and ambassadors visit elementary schools to address questions and concerns about middle school and introduce the technology platforms used during middle school. Note: specific dates and times TBD with elementary schools.
- Open House (August, date TBD): Rising 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students and their families are welcome to attend Walton's Open House to walk through their schedule, meet their teachers, counselors, and administrators, and ask questions.
6th Grade Classes
- Language Arts- Language Arts 6
- Math 6- Two levels are available: Math 6 and Math 6 Compacted (Covers the 6th - 8th grade math curriculum to prepare for Algebra I in 7th grade). Click here for a detailed description of each level.
- Science 6 (year-long)
- History 6 (year-long)- United States History I to 1865
- Health/PE (year-long)
- Electives- Click Here for the list of elective courses available in 6th grade.
Spanish Immersion Program
For students who participated in a Spanish Immersion program in elementary school, the following course path will be taken at Walton:
- 6th Grade: Immersion will be provided through Language Arts 6. This accounts for one block of these students' day.
- 7th Grade: Immersion will be provided through a Language Arts 7/Spanish class. This accounts for one block of these students' day.
- 8th Grade: Students will take Spanish II. Students will also have the opportunity to take the STAMP test at the end of the year to determine their proficiency level.
- High School: Spanish course level will be determined by performance on the STAMP test (Spanish 3 or Spanish 4). Additionally, bilingual certification can be acquired by the STAMP test in 8th grade or in high school.
Registering in Parent Portal
Click here for directions on how to access course registration in Parent Portal.
Elementary Schools that Feed into Walton
- Mountain View Elementary School- Some students attend Walton, others attend Burley Middle School.
- Red Hill Elementary School- All students attend Walton.
- Scottsville Elementary School- All students attend Walton.
- Stone-Robinson Elementary School- Some students attend Walton, others attend Burley Middle School.