Rising 6th Grade Registration
Hello future Walton families!
This page has been designed to support 5th grade students and their families with the middle school course registration process. If you have questions as you navigate through this process, please contact your elementary school counselor or your child's 2023/2024 6th grade counselor, Makenzie Crawford (email@example.com), for information.
Rising 6th Grade Welcome Letter
Click here to view the welcome letter that was sent to rising 6th grade families through elementary counselors.
- Early December: WMS counseling website is updated with transition information.
- December/Early January: Rising 6th grade transition information, including welcome letter, is sent to elementary counselors to distribute to 5th grade students, families, and math teachers.
- January 3rd - February 3rd: ParentPortal opens for students/families/schools to sign up for elective courses and to select a math course. Elementary counselors and math teachers assist students and families with this process.
- February 6th - 10th: Teachers and counselors review course selections and make comments on selections.
- February 13th: ParentPortal is available for parents/guardians to view only. Starting on this date, any course request changes will be completed by the student's elementary counselor.
- April 20th: 5th grade students visit WMS during school day.
- April 27th (tentative): Rising 6th grade Orientation 6 to 7 PM
- June 1st - 9th: WMS administrators, counselors and ambassadors visit elementary schools. Note: specific dates and times TBD with elementary schools.
6th Grade Classes
- Language Arts- Language Arts 6
- Math 6- Two levels are available: Math 6 and Math 6 Compacted (Covers the 6th - 8th grade math curriculum to prepare for Algebra I in 7th grade). Click here for a detailed description of each level.
- Science 6 (year-long)
- History 6 (year-long)- United States History I to 1865
- Health/PE (year-long)
- Electives- Click Here for the list of elective courses available in 6th grade.
|Blue Day||Gold Day|
|Block 1||Language Arts||Language Arts|
Spanish Immersion Program
For students who participated in a Spanish Immersion program in elementary school, the following course path will be taken at Walton:
- 6th Grade: Immersion will be provided through Language Arts 6 class. This accounts for one block of these students' day.
- 7th Grade: Immersion will be provided through a Language Arts 7/Spanish class. Students will also take Science 6 (typically taken in 7th grade) and Science 7. Science is provided in English.
- 8th Grade: Students will take Spanish II. Students will also have the opportunity to take the STAMP test at the end of the year to determine their proficiency level.
- High School: Spanish course level will be determined by performance on the STAMP test (Spanish 3 or Spanish 4). Additionally, bilingual certification can be acquired by the STAMP test in 8th grade or in high school.
Registering in Parent Portal
Click here for directions on how to access course registration in Parent Portal.
To help 5th grade students with their transition to middle school, the following events are planned during the spring. These events may be adjusted due to local health protocols.
- 6th Grade Orientation: Evening event for both parents and students to attend. Parents attend an informational presentation with the principals and are provided with a school tour. Rising 6th grade students join their teachers in the gym four team building games.
- 5th Grade Visit: Students and their teachers visit Walton during the school day. Students are provided with an informational sessions, tours guided by Walton student ambassadors, a question and answer session with student ambassadors, and finally students have the opportunity to eat lunch in the Walton cafeteria with their 5th grade peers.
- Counselor and Ambassador Visits: At the end of the school year, Walton counselors and ambassadors visit each elementary school in the Southern Feeder Pattern to answer any questions that students still have about middle school.
Elementary Schools that Feed into Walton
- Mountain View Elementary School- Some students attend Walton, others attend Burley Middle School.
- Red Hill Elementary School- All students attend Walton.
- Scottsville Elementary School- All students attend Walton.
- Stone-Robinson Elementary School- Some students attend Walton, others attend Burley Middle School.